Absolute beginner

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Wed Dec 30 07:02:23 EST 2009

lucbonne at hotmail.com writes:

> I installed python 3.1 on Windows Vista PC.

Thank you for this information, it's essential to solving the problem.

> Python 3.1.1 (r311:74483, Aug 17 2009, 17:02:12) [MSC v.1500 32 bit
> (Intel)] on win32
> Type "copyright", "credits" or "license()" for more information.
> SyntaxError: invalid syntax (<pyshell#0>, line 1)

You need to follow the correct documentation for the version of Python
you're using. The above is invalid syntax — in Python 3. (It was valid,
in Python 2.)

Please work through the Python tutorial for the version of Python you're
using <URL:http://docs.python.org/3.1/tutorial/>, running each exercise
and experimenting until you understand it before going to the next.

Good hunting, and keep at it!

--
 \        “If you go to a costume party at your boss's house, wouldn't |
  `\     you think a good costume would be to dress up like the boss's |