Another Sets Problem

Carsten Haese carsten.haese at gmail.com
Tue Dec 29 15:30:00 EST 2009

Victor Subervi wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 3:58 PM, Carsten Haese <carsten.haese at gmail.com
> <mailto:carsten.haese at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Victor Subervi wrote:
>     > You know I did this before, substituting "f" for "field", and it
>     honestly wouldn't print but threw a 500 error. Now it works. I don't
>     understand.
>
>     That's exactly why you keep running into strange problems. I strongly
>     urge you to learn to understand why your code does what it does. The
>     desire to find out how something works is, in my opinion, an essential
>     skill in a programmer, and your "maybe I'll figure it out later"
>     attitude displays a disturbing lack of this skill.
>

> Wrong. Prioritization is also important. Don't be so foolish as to think
> that I don't want to understand why my code does what it does!

You need to rethink your priorities. Understanding your code is a
prerequisite, not a luxury. You keep saying that you'll get around to
understanding your code when it's done. My point is that your code will
never be done if you don't take the time to understand it.

--
Carsten Haese
http://informixdb.sourceforge.net