Which version of MSVC?90.DLL's to distribute with Python 2.6 based Py2exe executables?

python at bdurham.com python at bdurham.com
Sun Dec 27 08:51:38 EST 2009

Hi Martin,

> You'll need to include Microsoft.VC90.CRT.manifest and msvcr90.dll.

Thank you for your answers. From my research and testing on this topic:

1. Can I safely place these 2 files in the same folder as my Py2exe
generated EXE file or do I need to place the MSVCR90.DLL file in a
specially named sub-folder?

2. Do I need to rename the Microsoft.VC90.CRT.manifest file to
myapp.exe.manifest or can I leave it named as is?

3. Do I need to customize the contents of the
Microsoft.VC90.CRT.manifest file for my EXE?

I've been experimenting with different answers to the above questions
and multiple approaches seems to work. I suspect this is because all the
workstations I have access to for testing already have the full set of
MSVC*90.DLL's installed - and not because my multiple tests really work.

Thanks so much for your help!

Malcolm