Which version of MSVC?90.DLL's to distribute with Python 2.6 based Py2exe executables?

John Bokma john at castleamber.com
Sat Dec 26 20:54:42 EST 2009

Jonathan Hartley <tartley at tartley.com> writes:

> 2) About once a week the last couple of months I've had a friend phone
> to say 'can you write me a simple program to do X', where X is stuff
> like calling a web API to look up info for every postcode/zipcode in a
> database. This sort of thing is ideally suited to Python, but then

ask 50 USD/program and after 20 times you can buy VC (if the quoted
price of 1000 USD is correct).

In the past I helped people for free on/via Usenet with Perl programming
issues (via as in: they emailed me because of something I posted on
Usenet). Ditto for people who emailed me for help after a visit to my
site. The past 1.5 year or so I ask book(s)[1] in return for such help, and
now I have to make a bookcase soon :-)

> when I come to send the program to my friend, it never works. These
> are non-technical users, so I'd rather send them a single executable
> that 'just works', rather than asking them to install Python and then
> coach them through running a script - they would HATE that as a
> solution.

So you provide a very good solution to them, and hence they shouldn't
have any problem with paying for such a service.

[1] really small stuff is 15 USD in books but everything above that is
multiples of 35 USD/books. It's a nice way to create a library of
technical books that way, while leaving plenty of room for books for
leisure.

--
John Bokma

Read my blog: http://johnbokma.com/