how to register with pypi - no such setup.py

Phlip phlip2005 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 26 17:09:14 EST 2009

On Dec 26, 6:01 am, "Martin v. Loewis" <mar... at v.loewis.de> wrote:

> > Now my next problem - how to get pypi.python.org to stop burning up
> > version numbers each time I test this?
>
> I don't speak English well enough to understand what "to burn up"
> means - to my knowledge, PyPI does no such thing.

I don't know how to test pypi on my own notebook.

Each time I change setup.py or something, if I want to test my change,
I have to boost the version number, and then use sdist upload to push
a new version to the server.

This means I am using up perfectly good version numbers. If I don't
change the number, I get a condescending message "Upload failed (400):
A file named "Morelia-0.0.10.tar.gz" already exists for
Morelia-0.0.10. To fix problems with that file you should create a new
release."

I have no alternative, to fix bugs in PyPi, _not_ in "that file", but
to continue burning up version numbers that nobody cares about. The
message is condescending because I am aware of the reason we version
packages, and the message is _not_ helping me apply that reason!