web development in python 2.6 and 3.0

Stephen Hansen apt.shansen at gmail.com
Mon Dec 21 12:37:38 EST 2009

On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 9:22 AM, Simon Moses <ksmoses at ymail.com> wrote:

> hi,
>
> i am new to python but have programming experience in few other languages.
> i am trying to start with python 2.6 or 3.0. my requirement is accessing
> database (mysql and/or postgresql) and web development.
>
> what all i should install for my requirement?
> to connect to database (mysql and/or postgresql)
> for web development

3.0 is a bit hard right now as there are a lot of libraries that have not
yet been ported which may be required for certain frameworks, but this
question is a bit hard on its own to answer... because you have a lot of
choices :)

For 2.6, what's your requirements? What's "web development" for you, ie what
kind of development on the web are you talking about doing? If you're
looking to do a database-driven web app, I've seen both Django and web2py in
use and both have active communities and seem to be quite mature and
interesting.

But there's a lot of other options. Personally, I'm using Pylons and am very
happy with it-- its a bit more low-level but that makes it better for me
because I'm integrating it into an existing non-web based system. Then
there's TurboGears which is built on top of Pylons in its 2.0 version, but a
bit more focused on the end goal of providing a complete solution instead of
a complete set of tools for you to make a solution out of. (That might be
woefully mischaracterizing their perspectives on my part, if so I
apologize!)

Depending on what you need to do, there's for sure a framework for you to
make life easier out there. At the moment, Python seems to have a million
solutions to this problem and all seem quite interesting in their own
regard. Then again, you could go retro and skip the framework and just use
what's in the standard library and make CGI scripts... but doing it the
cave-man way will make you seem less cool :)

--S