how to go back from 2.6.4 to 2.6.2 under windows ?

Stef Mientki stef.mientki at gmail.com
Sun Dec 20 14:59:46 EST 2009

Benjamin Kaplan wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 20, 2009 at 9:26 AM, Stef Mientki <stef.mientki at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> hello,
>>
>> I've just upgraded my system from Python 2.5 to 2.6.4,
>> and installed the latest packages of a lot of libraries.
>>
>> Now one essential package (VPython) only works with Python 2.6.2.
>> I tried to install Python 2.6.2 over this 2.6.4 installation,
>> and indeed the readme file says it's 2.6.2,
>> but the python and pythonw are still 2.6.4.
>> Why is that so ??
>>
>> Now assume that a number of packages (because compiled with 2.6.4) will not
>> work correctly with 2.6.2.
>> Is that correct ?
>>

> 2.6.4 is just a bugfix release- it's binary compatible with the other
> 2.6 releases. So any package that worked under 2.6.2 shouid also work
> under 2.6.4 unless a new bug was introduced or it relied on a bug that
> was fixed. And any package that works under 2.6.4 will also work under
> 2.6.2 without recompiling unless it hits one of the bugs that was
> fixed.

thanks Benjamin,

Then VPython must hit one of the bugs that were fixed.
On a second machine,
- I removed Python 2.6.4 (without removing all other libraries)
- installed Python 2.6.2 (without reïnstalling all the libraries)
and indeed the VPython library works as expected.

So I guess this is a reasonable approach,
and all libraries should work well,
unless one of these libraries has a work around for one of the bugs
fixed between 2.6.2 and 2.6.4.

cheers,
Stef