Anybody use web2py?

Anand Vaidya anandvaidya.ml at gmail.com
Sat Dec 19 23:30:22 EST 2009

On Dec 19, 2:42 pm, AppRe Godeck <a... at godeck.com> wrote:
> Just curious if anybody prefers web2py over django, and visa versa. I
> know it's been discussed on a flame war level a lot. I am looking for a
> more intellectual reasoning behind using one or the other.

Hi,

I am not very familiar with Django, anyway, my reasons for selecting
web2py are:

- I believe Django naturally "fits in" to a publishing type of
application. web2py seems to be more focussed on being a front-end to
"applications" not so much for CMS type or newspaper type publishing.
(There is a web2py based wiki/CMS app, though). Though, I agree either
could fulfil any of these roles.

- Django documentation is vastly superior, including third party books
etc. After the v2 Web2py book, we do have solid documentation, but
web2py evolves so quickly, there are always things that are documented
only on the google groups, slices or wiki.

- Many training courses are available pretty much everywhere for
Django. Web2py needs to catch up - it will, probably.

- Web2py lowers the barrier to entry into python web programming,
since it is well thought out and intuitive. The support on the mailing
list is fantastic, though I have no idea how good the support for
Django is. w2py is easy to pick up for even a python newbie.

- Massimo claims about the backward compatibility. I was surprised
recently when I took an app I deployed several months (and several
versions old) and retested it with the latest SVN code. And it worked
fine! Which means, if my client asks for it, I could swap out old w2py
with the latest code with no problems.

My $0.02