Line indexing in Python

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Fri Dec 18 11:12:08 EST 2009

seafoid wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> When python reads in a file, can lines be referred to via an index?
>
> Example:
>
> for line in file:
>      if line[0] == '0':
>          a.write(line)
>
> This works, however, I am unsure if line[0] refers only to the first line or
> the first character in all lines.

Each time around the loop the variable "line" contains the current line
from the file. Thus line[0] is the first character of the current line.

If your intent is to print all lines beginning with "0" then your code
will work.

> Is there an easy way to refer to a line with the first character being a
> single letter that you know?

You might express it more readably as

for line in file:
    if line.startswith("0"):
        a.write(line)

This seems to express the intent of your code somewhat more directly.

regards
 Steve