Eclipse Carriage Return Workaround

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Fri Dec 18 10:38:37 EST 2009

I've written a Python 3 course that uses an Eclipse-based teaching
system. The school is telling me that their version of Eclipse/pydev
appears to have an input() function that appends a carriage return
character to the user's input. This makes several things go screwy, as
it's definitely not the way the standalone interpreter works, even on
Windows.

Can anyone think of a simple way work around this issue by overriding
__builtins__.input() with a function that calls input() and then returns
an rstrip()ped version of the input string? I though of setting a
PYTHONSTARTUP environment variable, but that only affects interactive
interpreter instances.

regards
 Steve