More stuff added to ch 2 of my programming intro

Ned Deily nad at acm.org
Thu Dec 17 05:33:32 EST 2009

In article
<183af5d2-e157-4cd6-bec6-8997809e1f51 at d21g2000yqn.googlegroups.com>,
 Mensanator <mensanator at aol.com> wrote:
> Oh, I don't know, maybe because I'm thinking about
> buying one and seeing 2.3, 2.4 and 2.5 directories
> on the model in the store made me wary.

That's odd since, AFAIK, Apple has never released an OS X with Python
2.4.

Current Apple systems ship with OS X 10.6, aka Snow Leopard.   10.6
includes a Python 2.6.1 (64-bit/32-bit) and a Python 2.5.4 (32-bit
only).  The previous release, 10.5, shipped with 2.5 and 2.3.  But, not
to worry, if you need other versions, you can download OS X installers
from python.org.

> > http://www.python.org/download/releases/3.1.1/http://www.python.org/ftp/pyth
> > on/3.1.1/python-3.1.1.dmg
>
> This tells me nothing.

That's the disk image for the OS X Python 3.1.1 installer.  Official
binary installers for OS X are provided on python.org for every final
Python release.

> > or (for MacPorts fans):
> >
> > $ sudo port install python31
>

> And since I haven't got one, this also tells me nothing.

http://www.macports.org/

"The MacPorts Project is an open-source community initiative to design
an easy-to-use system for compiling, installing, and upgrading either
command-line, X11 or Aqua based open-source software on the Mac OS X
operating system."

--
 Ned Deily,
 nad at acm.org