pyZui - anyone know about this?

David Roberts d at vidr.cc
Wed Dec 16 00:03:19 EST 2009

> > and employs pyramidal tiling for efficiency
>
> \me ... time to hit Wikipedia :)
It involves scaling an image to various resolutions, and partitioning
them into fixed-size tiles. It's roughly the same technique used by
Google Maps/Earth.

> It is very cool, but I would inject a note of caution here: I'd a hate a zui
> to become a case of "hunt-the-zoom."  A link is a link. They already work very
> well, click and it goes to the page.
>  I find the notion of minute "hot" areas to be a little obscure -- Quick! Zoom
> into the last full-stop, it's a whole word in there!
> What I would enjoy is when you click a link - it zooms into the sub-page so
> you get a feeling of traversal. Back buttons would zoom out again. Add to that
> a kind of birds'-eye view of one's history (like a thumbnails node-graph of
> some kind) and it would be perfect!
Sure, it was just a quick mockup of a potential application. A proper
implementation would probably have more sophisticated features such as
that.

> This aspect reminds me of the Red Dwarf episode "Back to Reality", in
> which Rimmer is criticised for not finding information contained in a
> microdot hidden in the dot on the 'i' of his name on a swimming
> certificate.
Haha, true.

> ZUIs are useful for particular types of data - images & mapping
> especially - but I'd hate to have to navigate my desktop using its
> approach.
Obviously there will be some applications that suit more traditional
GUIs better than ZUIs, just like there's plenty of applications more
suited to the command-line than a GUI. After all, things such as the
web and the desktop metaphor came into being long before ZUIs.