treaps in python

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 16:30:01 EST 2009

On 2009-12-14 22:49 PM, Dan Stromberg wrote:

> It's currently GPLv3-licensed, but I'd like to dual license it in such a
> way that it could eventually be included in the standard library. How
> would I go about this?

I would recommend simply using the Apache v2 license. The PSF will only accept
code for the standard library under this license or the Academic Free License.
There is no need or benefit to dual-licensing it with the Apache license and the
GPLv3 as the GPLv3 is a strict superset of requirements. People writing GPLv3
programs can incorporate your module without problems.

You *may* want to consider dual-licensing Apache v2/GPLv2 or another
GPLv2-compatible license. There are some people sticking with GPLv2 and the
patent peace provisions in the Apache v2 (compatible with those in GPLv3) are
incompatible with the GPLv2.

Both of these dual-licensing scenarios are quite different from what people
normally want to do when dual-licensing, which is to use a strong copyleft
license like the GPL normally and sell individual commercial licenses on an ad
hoc basis. This would not serve your purpose. I still recommend just licensing
your code under the Apache v2 license and forgetting about dual-licensing until
you get people asking for other licenses.

--
Robert Kern

  an underlying truth."
   -- Umberto Eco