race/deadlock when creating a multiprocessing.manager instance while importing a module ?

Sebastien Binet seb.binet at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 05:57:19 EST 2009

Dave,

[..snip..]
On Tuesday 15 December 2009 02:49:00 Dave Angel wrote:
> Since I don't see any other responses, I'll give my guess, even though
> I'm not very experienced with the multiprocessing module.
>
> It's my understanding that threads may not be created or destroyed
> during an import.  So you need to find a way to defer the creation till
> the imports are done.

yes, I figured this much and I already wrapped my module with a ModuleFacade
object which has lazy properties attributes [1].
this solves the problem of import my module, but if the module importing my
module is itself being imported, I am back to square one.

and my module is being used by many people.

I guess I'd need at least a way to detect that somebody is trying to use the
lazy properties of my module facade while an import is "still active".
is there such a mechanism ?

cheers,
sebastien.

[1]
https://svnweb.cern.ch/trac/atlasoff/browser/Tools/PyUtils/trunk/python/AthFile/__init__.py
# Dr. Sebastien Binet
# Laboratoire de l'Accelerateur Lineaire
# Universite Paris-Sud XI
# Batiment 200
# 91898 Orsay