Moving from PHP to Python. Is it Possible

Diez B. Roggisch deets at nospam.web.de
Mon Dec 14 04:20:21 EST 2009

> Yes, I understood. And I'm using large Global dictionary (or Array) to
> replicate those objects.  State of the thing will store in there. But it
> wasn't an object. Just Assocative array. Staying in global space,
>
> Because.
>
> In web programming we do not store anything except session. Every object we
> created was destroyed after execution. Using objects in this conditions was
> non sense to me. (of course I'm not very capable programmer probably it was my
> fault to take full advantage of oo programming)
>
> Plus. In php we can store arrays in files very easy. Combining this with any
> PHP opcode cache can save those arrays in memory. So we got damn cheap state
> saver.

This is possible in python, too. But "damn cheap"... well, the cheapest
solution in terms of speed is to just keep the things in memory. Which
you can't do with PHP, as everything lives just one request, but in
Python with certain app-servers, you can do this.

> Of course things may differ in python.
>
> Anyhow I generate a Registry class to replicate global dictionary. Probably it
> much better than my PHP Direct $GLOBAL usage.
>
> So I have no problem with that.
>
>>> Anyway, I need to save my lots and lots of config variables in dictionary
>>> style global accessible location.
>>>
>>> Because.
>>>
>>> In my design We got lots of plugins, and those plugins may show in
>>> multiple times and multiple locations in a page.
>>>
>>> Each plugin may have setup values to affect entire page output.
>>>
>>> Because of this. I have to put those values in global location for future
>>> use.
>> No, you don't. Because of this, you can e.g. use ToscaWidgets as a
>> framework for creating widgets that encapsulate code, HTML, javascript
>> and CSS. And no global state is shared.
>>
>> Also, I think you should *really* look into one of the available
>> web-frameworks such as Django or Turbogears to learn how to write
>> webapps in python - instead of shoehorning your tried & trusted PHP
>> techniques that don't translate well.
>>

> Yes I download the django trying to learn but it was much different.
>
> My problem is not writing web apps. I'm doing well.
>
> My design was very good and I'm very proud its abilities.
>
> My problem is with PHP syntax and performance.
>
> I'm just trying to replicate my recepies in python...

Then the result will be a twice as horrible program in python. Because
you work against the language.

In the end of course, what matters is what works for you.

Diez