Python for simulating BRDF

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sat Dec 12 14:49:15 EST 2009

Franky Frank wrote:

> I would like to write a simulation program using Python language for
> simulating bidirectional reflectance distribution function (BRDF) obtained
> from multi-angular remote sensing. I have a program written in C language.
> Can I convert it into Python language?

Yes, but it would be slower unless you use numpy to the heavy calculation.

Or you can wrap your current C program or routines within it so that
they can be called from Python. If you compile to a .dll or .so, you can
access function with the ctypes module.

Google gives 20K hits with 'python brdf'

 >In Python, being a higher level
> programming language, do we encounter more problems in debugging while
> developing such simulating program?

If you know Python well, you should have fewer problems. That is why
people sometimes develop prototypes in Python and then translate to C if
they need more speed.

Terry Jan Reedy