pyserial - escape codes transportation

Grant Edwards invalid at invalid.invalid
Fri Dec 11 14:56:23 EST 2009

On 2009-12-11, ObservantP <johnkduffy at gmail.com> wrote:
> need help. newbie. pyserial and  dot matrix printer.
> issue- escape codes arrive at printer ( verified from hex dump) but do
> not get applied.

What you're saying is your printer isn't working correctly.

> printer make/model STAR POS printer SP500. oddly, printer
> commands not initiated with the escape code .i.e. a symbol,
> work fine.
>

> import serial
> ser=serial.Serial(0)
>
> ser.bytesize=7
> ser.timeout=1
> ser.dsrdtr=1
> ser.write('PySerial'+'\n')
> ser.write('Star SP500'+'\n')
>

> #Double Width On   14   SO =             Or ESC W 1 / 0
> #                     Off  20   DC4=
>
> ser.write(''     +'Double Width-Symbol\n')  #Good
> ser.write(''     +'Reset\n')                         #Good
> ser.write('\n')                                          #Good
>
> ser.write('Xw1\n'+'Double Width-ESC\n')    #Nope ( Nor CHR(027)

FWIW, that's _not_ sending an ASCII escape character.  It's
sending a string starting with a caret and a square bracket.

I don't know what you're actually trying to send, but my guess
is that you want is '\033w1' or '\x1Bw1'

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! I'm also against
                                  at               BODY-SURFING!!