Recommendation for small, fast, Python based web server

Irmen de Jong irmen-NOSPAM- at xs4all.nl
Fri Dec 11 13:40:21 EST 2009

On 11-12-2009 14:52, Antoine Pitrou wrote:

> Hello,
>
>> I've looked at the web servers that come bundled with the Python
>> standard library[1] and they are too slow.
>
> Apparently you have debugged your speed issue so I suppose you don't have
> performance problems anymore. Do note, however, that Python is generally
> not as fast as C -- especially for low-level stuff -- and a Python Web
> server will probably serve around 10x less requests per second than a C
> Web server like Apache (this will still give you hundreds of simple
> requests per second on a modern machine).

I don't think that number is fair for Python. I think a well written
Python web server can perform in the same ballpark as most mainstream
web servers written in C. Especially Apache, which really isn't a top
performer. And I'm pretty sure a well written Python server can
outperform a badly written C based server easily.

-irmen