Question about 'remote objects'

Frank Millman frank at chagford.com
Fri Dec 11 08:27:22 EST 2009

Frank Millman wrote:

> I am writing a multi-user business/accounting application. It is getting
> rather complex and I am looking at how to, not exactly simplify it, but
> find a way to manage the complexity.

[...]
> Is there any particular benefit in using remote objects as opposed to
> writing a SocketServer?

Many thanks for the very useful replies.

Irmen - thanks for clearing up my misconception about how Pyro works. This
is still definitely an option.

Diez - plenty of food for thought. Your cautionary tale about premature
optimisation is salutary.

J Kenneth King - also plenty of food for thought, but in fact the most
important part of your post was the following -

- Find the clear boundaries of each component.
- Build an API along those boundaries.
- Add a network layer in front of the boundaries.

I should know this, but I confess I do need reminding. I had a useful
brainstorming session with a colleague this morning focussing on this, and
this is where I shall concentrate my attention for the next few days. I
suspect that, once this has become clearer, it will not matter much whether
I use remote objects, write a SocketServer, or keep it all on one machine.

I really appreciate the feedback - it helps a lot.

Frank