Float precision and float equality

dbd dbd at ieee.org
Fri Dec 11 03:37:09 EST 2009

On Dec 10, 2:23 pm, Carl Banks <pavlovevide... at gmail.com> wrote:

> > A useful description of floating point issues can be found:
>
> [snip]
>
> I'm not reading it because I believe I grasp the situation just fine.
>
> Say I have two numbers, a and b.  They are expected to be in the range
> (-1000,1000).  As far as I'm concerned, if they differ by less than
> 0.1, they might as well be equal.
> Carl Banks

I don't expect Carl to read. I posted the reference for the OP whose
only range specification was "calculations with floats" and "equality
of floats" and who expressed concern about "truncation errors". Those
who can't find "floats" in the original post will find nothing of
interest in the reference.

Dale B. Dalrymple