When will Python 3 be fully deployed

John Nagle nagle at animats.com
Thu Dec 10 03:18:13 EST 2009

Luis M. González wrote:
> On Dec 6, 3:21 pm, vsoler <vicente.so... at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I recently read that many libraries, including Numpy have not been
>> ported to Python 3.
>>
>> When do you think that Python 3 will be fully deployed?
>>
>> Should I stick, so far, to Python 2.6?
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Vicente Soler
>
> You'll have some answers here: http://jessenoller.com/2009/12/04/pythons-moratorium-lets-think-about-this/

    I'd argue against using Python 2.6 for production work.  Either use Python
2.5, which is stable, or 3.x, which is bleeding-edge.  2.6 has some of the
features of Python 3.x, but not all of them, and is neither fish nor fowl
as a result.  2.6 is really more of a sideline that was used for trying
out new features, not something suitable for production.

    I think the idea is to run your 2.5 code through '2to3" and see if it
works in 3.x.

    Anyway, it will be years, if ever, before Python 3.x gets any real support.
Too many major packages still aren't fully supported on it, and some popular
packages, like SGMLlib and Feedparser, are being dropped.

    When a few major Linux distros ship with Python 3.x and enough of the binary
packages to run a web site, take a look at it again.

				John Nagle