Immediate Help with python program!

Rhodri James rhodri at wildebst.demon.co.uk
Wed Dec 9 19:37:54 EST 2009

Ahem.  This is a newsgroup/mailing list, not IM.  I happen to have seen
this within half an hour of you posting it, but that's just luck.
Expecting an "immediate" response is unrealistic.

Furthermore, this is comp.lang.python, a group right up there in pedantry
terms with cam.misc.  Wandering in and demanding "immediate" help is just
begging for half a dozen replies that give you detailed and mind-boggling
versions of exactly what you asked for, especially if it's got nothing to
do with the answer you actually need.

So...

On Wed, 09 Dec 2009 23:55:01 -0000, Daniel <dkeeper09 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> i am making a tic-tac-toe game using python. i am pretty new to it,
> but cant seem to figure this one out.
> Here is my code:
>
> X = "X"
> O = "O"
> empty = " "
> tie = "Tie"
> squares = 9

There's a convention (PEP 8, why not go to www.python.org and read it?)
that constants should be given names in CAPITAL_LETTERS_AND_UNDERSCORES so
that you can tell at a glance that they aren't supposed to be changed.
PEP 8 also has things to say about function names.

[snip rest of program]

> Here is my problem:
> If you hit 'n' at the beginning prompt, the computer does four moves
> automatically and wins- you can't input anything.

Sounds like you have a bug in your end-of-turn function.  To be fair, it
took me a couple of minutes to be sure I'd spotted this correctly.

> If you hit 'y' at
> the beginning prompt, you can play but cannot win. I got three x's in
> a row and it didn't let me win. It just keeps letting
> you input numbers until the computer wins even if you have three in a
> row.

Sounds like you have a bug in your check-for-a-win function.  That should
be all the hint you need.