When will Python 3 be fully deployed

Rami Chowdhury rami.chowdhury at gmail.com
Wed Dec 9 14:43:19 EST 2009

On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 11:25, Nobody <nobody at nowhere.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 09 Dec 2009 10:28:40 -0800, Rami Chowdhury wrote:
>
>>> But on Unix, it's a square-peg-round-hole situation.
>>
>> I dunno, I find it rather useful not to have to faff about with
>> encoding to/from when working with non-ASCII files (with non-ASCII
>> filenames) on Linux.
>
> For the kind of task I'm referring to, there is no encoding or decoding.
> You get byte strings from argv, environ, files, etc, and pass them to
> library functions. What those bytes "mean" as text (if anything) never
> enters the equation.

Perhaps we're referring to slightly different tasks, then. I'm
thinking of scripts to move log files around, or archive documents,
where some manipulation of file and folder names is necessary --
that's where I personally have been bitten by encodings and the like
(especially since I was moving around between filesystems, as well).
But I take your point that the more complex cases are complex
regardless of Python version.