Implementation suggestions for creating a Hierarchical circuit database

nick freesoft12 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 9 12:57:36 EST 2009

Hi,

I am writing a personal software that will read circuit design/
netlist. I will be using the MCNC benchmarks that contain different
types of designs in SPICE netlist format.

I need some pointers/papers/suggestions on creating a "hierarchical"
netlist database. The netlist database can, at times, be fully
flattened, partially flattened or fully hierarchical. I should be able
to answer queries like: are there any capacitors connected to node:
x1.x2.n1?

My program is currently only for analyzing designs for connectivity,
types of elements (resistors/capacitors) and figuring out some simple
electrical properties.

I am just starting, so please bear with me if I haven't thought about
corner cases.

Regards
Nick