Request for py program to insert space between two characters and saved as text?

Dave Angel davea at ieee.org
Tue Dec 8 15:09:37 EST 2009

r0g wrote:
> Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 8 Dec 2009 08:26:58 +0530, 74yrs old <withblessings at gmail.com>
>> declaimed the following in gmane.comp.python.general:
>>

>>> For Kannada project .txt(not .doc) is used, my requirement is to have one
>>>
> <snip>
>
>>> In this context, I request you kindly for small python program - to make or
>>>
>> 	Excuse me -- you want one of US to supply you with a program that
>> will be used for YOUR entry to some job site? (At least, that's what I
>> seem to be finding for "Kannada project")
>>

> Well it is only a 2 line program and he did ask nicely after all, if you
> begrudge him it then feel free to not answer, righteous indignation
> rarely helps anyone.
>
> Dear OP...
>
> Put the following 2 lines into a file and save it as spacer.py
>
> import sys
> print ' '.join([e for e in open(sys.argv[1], 'r').read()])
>

> Then open a terminal window and 'cd' to the same folder you just saved
> the spacer.py file in. Type...
>
> python spacer.py inputfile.txt > outputfile.txt
>
> This will run inputfile.txt through the space adding program we have
> just saved and then 'pipe' the output of that into a new file outputfile.txt
>
> Hope this helps,
>

> Roger Heathcote.

That seems a bit dangerous to give to a beginner at Python, without
discussing Unicode issues.  If he's in Python 3.x, and if the default
encoder is ASCII, which it seems to be most places, then he'll quickly
get a conversion error for some character.  And if it's some other 8 bit
form, he might not get an error,  but find that a space is inserted
between two of the bytes of a UTF-8 code.

DaveA