SUB-MATRIX extraction

Martin P. Hellwig martin.hellwig at dcuktec.org
Tue Dec 8 11:40:48 EST 2009

Jon Clements wrote:
> On Dec 8, 1:36 pm, Pierre <pierre.gaill... at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> let b = array([ [0,1,2] , [3,4,5] , [6,7,8] ])
>>
>> How can I easily extract the submatrix [ [0 ,1], [3, 4]] ?
>>
>> One possiblity is : b[[0,1],:][:,[0,1]] but it is not really easy !
>>
>> Thanks.
>
> x = numpy.array([ [0,1,2], [3,4,5], [6,7,8] ])
> print x[0:2,:2]
>        [3, 4]])
>
> Check out http://www.scipy.org/Tentative_NumPy_Tutorial
>
> hth,
>
> Jon.

Yeah numpy is great like that and is the most obvious and probably the
most right solution, however I'd like to mention if you are going to do
a lot of stuff that is going to look an awful lot like SQL, perhaps it
is easier to pump it in a (in :memory:) sqlite table and use it that
way. Chances are though that you are far better of with numpy.

--
MPH
http://blog.dcuktec.com