Duplicates of third-party libraries

David Cournapeau cournape at gmail.com
Tue Dec 8 08:02:18 EST 2009

On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 9:02 PM, Lie Ryan <lie.1296 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I disagree, what you should have is an Operating System with a package
> management system that addresses those issues. The package management must
> update your software and your dependencies, and keep track of
> incompatibilities between you and your dependencies.

This has many problems as well: you cannot install/update softwares
without being root, there are problems when you don't have the right
version, when the library/code is not packaged, etc... Don't get me
wrong, I am glad that things like debian, rpm exist, but it is no
panacea. There are simply no silver bullet to the deployment problem,
and difference cases/user target may require different solutions.

David