python bijection

geremy condra debatem1 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 5 13:37:19 EST 2009

On Sat, Dec 5, 2009 at 7:06 AM, Lie Ryan <lie.1296 at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Tree is better than Graph
>>>
>>> not having Tree and Graph package in the standard library force most
>>> people to find List-based solution.
>>
>> If you have to be *forced* to use a list-based solution, that's a good
>> sign that a list is *not* the right tool for the job.
>
> Sorry for putting too much emphasis on the "forced", that wasn't my
> intention. I was mentioning that often simple problems appeared more complex
> because the person was thinking in a higher level data structure than is
> necessary. "forced" in that sentence means to let people to think a little
> bit harder with list/dict before deciding that they are unsuitable and
> moving to a tree or a graph.

In any event, I think we can agree that for some tasks (I would say
many) a graph or tree is the most suitable data structure. To me,
that says that we need to be having a discussion about whether to
include those tools in the standard library, and how best to do so if
that's the decision. Would you agree?

Geremy Condra