Question on Python as career

Michele Simionato michele.simionato at gmail.com
Fri Dec 4 08:53:02 EST 2009

After 5 years of postdoc in Physics I decided to change career and to
move to IT. I decided to learn Object Oriented Programming first. I
chose Python since it was already installed on my Linux machine and it
was easy to tackle for a beginner. In the process of learning Python I
began posting to this newsgroup: first asking questions, then
answering them. I also wrote a few papers about Python. After a year
or so I was kind of known in the Python world, with a respectable
curriculum. Then I got my first job by answering a job offer on
comp.lang.python. My advice is to contact some local Python user
group, to go to conferences and to make yourself known in a way or
another.
It takes time. Good luck!

       Michele Simionato