Language mavens: Is there a programming with "if then else ENDIF" syntax?

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Thu Dec 3 15:46:45 EST 2009

Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> But you're right, the convention of using verbs for functions isn't as
> strong as the convention of using nouns for classes and types.

The idea that functions should be verbs is plain wrong, coming from the
traditional world of functional programming.   Since functions should
never have any side effects, ideally, they don't ever "do" anything to
something.  Rather they return a result.  I suppose if you were in a
language that had statements, that they could be the verbs.

One could argue that _methods_ should be verbs (which obviously doesn't
apply to Java and their over use of patterns to compensate for a weak
language) since methods are the means by which change to an object can
be effected.