Question on Python as career

Tim Roberts timr at probo.com
Thu Dec 3 01:16:10 EST 2009

joy99 <subhakolkata1234 at gmail.com> wrote:

>I am a researcher in India's one of the premier institutes.(Indian
>Institute of Science,Bangalore).
>
>I have done one MA in Linguistics, did a PhD in Natural Language
>Processing and doing a Post Doctoral now.
>After I complete my Post Doctoral which may be only 2-3 months away,
>with this knowledge can I join IT?

Wouldn't you say you have already joined IT?

It's difficult for me to believe that you have managed to get all the way
through a PhD without cultivating close relationships with at least one
private sector company.  Unless you had planned to stay in research
throughout your life, wouldn't that have been an obvious step along the
way?

>Are there any India based opportunities- as I checked Python job board
>it is very less.

There are very, very few full-time Python jobs anywhere in the world,
although many people use Python as one tool in their toolbox.

>If I get anything after completing my Post Doc with present base of
>knowledge what profiles I may expect?
>If I have to learn anything what they may be and how much time
>generally a person needs to learn them and what may be the profile
>expectancy?

I am amazed that a PhD does not already have some clues about the answers
to these questions.  Your best plan is to start exploiting your network of
contacts.  If you don't already have a network of commercial contacts, then
you have a long, hard road ahead of you.
Tim Roberts, timr at probo.com
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.