can python do this?

Diez B. Roggisch deets at nospam.web.de
Wed Dec 2 10:17:37 EST 2009

Rounak wrote:

>> Python can do anything Applescript can do with the appscript module -
>> see <http://appscript.sourceforge.net/py-appscript/index.html>. And,
>> naturally, very much more.
>
> wait, sorry, i forgot to mention. I am now on Linux. I want to know what
> python can do in Linux. On Mac, I am glad to use applescript.

This question is not so easy to answer. Because such functionality heavily
depends on your actual desktop environment - KDE, Gnome, or something
entirely different.

However, I'd say that using python you have a good chance of exploiting the
services that are actually available to you.

For example, taking a screenshot:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/69645/take-a-screenshot-via-a-python-script-linux

Uploading that to dropbox is simple python urllib stuff.

And  there seem to be ways to insert things into the clipboard as well:

  http://arminstraub.com/bits-and-bytes/kde-clipboard-on-the-command-line

Diez