python and vc numbers

Nobody nobody at nowhere.com
Tue Dec 1 02:20:29 EST 2009

On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 21:02:00 +1100, Daniel Dalton wrote:

>> That did the trick, thanks, after I append
>> [-2]
>
> Further testing under screen says otherwise -- it seems to give me the
> tty number, not the virtual console number. Is there any way to figure
> out what virtual console I'm am in

I'm sure that there are all kinds of heuristics you could try, but
ultimately the question is meaningless.

E.g. you can start a screen session on one terminal (which may not be a
VC, but an xterm, ssh login, etc), detach it, attach it to a different
terminal, or even attach it to multiple terminals.

The child process only knows about its controlling terminal. If that
happens to be a pty slave, you could try looking for any processes
connected to the pty master. But you aren't guaranteeed to find any such
processes; if a process is running under a different account, you won't
be able to enumerate its descriptors. And you might find that the
master is owned by e.g. sshd, in which case there really isn't any way to
find out what's on the other end of the connection.

If the process happens to be part of a "screen" session, you can use
"screen -ls" to list sessions, and find out which terminal they are
attached to (although they might be detached, or they might be attached to
something other than a VC).