Non-deterministic computing (was: What python can NOT do?)

Joshua Judson Rosen rozzin at geekspace.com
Sun Aug 30 13:54:17 EDT 2009

Steven D'Aprano <steve at REMOVE-THIS-cybersource.com.au> writes:

> On Sat, 29 Aug 2009 05:37:34 +0200, Tomasz Rola wrote:
>
> > My private list of things that when implemented in Python would be
> > ugly to the point of calling it difficult:
> >
> > 1. AMB operator - my very favourite. In one sentence, either language
> > allows one to do it easily or one would not want to do it (in an ugly
> > way).
> >
> > http://www.randomhacks.net/articles/2005/10/11/amb-operator
>

> Fascinating, but I don't exactly see how that's actually *useful*. It
> strikes me of combining all the benefits of COME FROM with the potential
> performance of Bogosort, but maybe I'm being harsh.

There's a chapter on this (non-deterministic computing in general,
and `amb' in particular) in Abelson's & Sussman's book,
`Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs':

    http://mitpress.mit.edu/sicp/full-text/book/book-Z-H-28.html#%_sec_4.3

It's an interesting read (the chapter, as well as the rest of the book).

> On the other hand, it sounds rather like Prolog-like declarative
> programming. I fear that, like Prolog, it risks massive performance
> degradation if you don't apply the constraints in the right order.

One of the classic arguments in the other direction is that
imperative programming (as is common in Python ;)) risks
massive *incorrect results* if you don't apply the side-effects
in the right order :)

--
Don't be afraid to ask (Lf.((Lx.xx) (Lr.f(rr)))).