Is behavior of += intentional for int?

Sun Aug 30 06:44:48 EDT 2009

On Sun, 30 Aug 2009 01:01:37 -0700, Mark Dickinson wrote:

> On Aug 29, 8:03 pm, Steven D'Aprano <st... at REMOVE-THIS-
> cybersource.com.au> wrote:
>> On Sat, 29 Aug 2009 11:11:43 -0700, zaur wrote:
>> > I thought that int as object will stay the same object after += but
>> > with another integer value. My intuition said me that int object
>> > which represent integer value should behave this way.
>>
>> If it did, then you would have this behaviour:

>> 5
>
> I don't see how that follows.

Okay, it follows given Python's caching of small integer objects.

It also follows from the idea that there is one abstract entity which
English speakers call "three" and write as 3. There's not two identical
entities with value 3, or four, or a million of them, only one.

But of course your alternative implementation (where every time the
Python VM sees the literal 3 it creates a new integer object with that
value) would also be a valid, albeit inefficient, implementation. To be
honest, I didn't even think of that.

--
Steven