break unichr instead of fix ord?

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sun Aug 30 01:58:39 EDT 2009

> To reiterate, I am not advocating for any change.  I
> simply want to understand if there is a good reason
> for limiting the use of unchr/ord on narrow builds to
> a subset of the unicode characters that Python otherwise
> supports.  So far, it seems not and that unichr/ord
> is a poster child for "purity beats practicality".

I think that's actually the case. I went back to the discussions,
and found that early 2.2 alpha releases did return two-byte
strings from unichr, and that this was changed because Marc-Andre
Lemburg insisted. Here are a few relevant messages from the
archives (search for unichr)

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2001-June/015649.html
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2001-July/015662.html
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2001-July/016110.html
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2001-July/016153.html
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2001-July/016155.html
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2001-July/016186.html

Eventually, in r28142, MAL changed it to give it its current
state.

Regards,
Martin