Sqlite format string

Tim Chase python.list at tim.thechases.com
Sat Aug 29 17:12:06 EDT 2009

> I have this statement cursor.execute("SELECT * from session_attribute WHERE
> sid=%s", ( user ))
> and I'm receiving this error :
>
> TypeError: not all arguments converted during string formatting

Two possibilities occur to me:

1) the 2nd parameter to execute() usually needs to be a tuple (or
maybe a list), so try

   cursor.execute("select ...", (user, ))

with the extra comma after "user".

2) More likely, check your sqlite3.paramstyle to see what sqlite
is expecting (it's defined at the module-level):

   import sqlite3
   print sqlite3.paramstyle

Mine here is set to "qmark" which means that sqlite is expecting

   cursor.execute("... WHERE sid=?", (user,))

instead of the "format" style you're using:

   cursor.execute("... WHERE sid=%s", (user,))

as defined in http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0249/

Hope this helps,

-tkc