Monitoring stdout in (more or less) real time

ivanko.rus at gmail.com ivanko.rus at gmail.com
Sat Aug 29 16:28:26 EDT 2009

29.08.2009 2:21 пользователь Gabriel Genellina <gagsl-py2 at yahoo.com.ar>
написал:
> En Sat, 29 Aug 2009 03:28:26 -0300, ivanko.rus at gmail.com> escribió:

> Hello to everyone! I am making a program that will be a GTK+ frontend to

> ffmpeg. Naturally, one of the main functions is parsing ffmpeg's output.

> It's pretty simple when I, for example, retrieve information about a file

> (the program finishes and I read the output). But it also needs to parse

> working ffmpeg's output (in order to retrieve the percentage, remaining

> time, etc.). So, actually what I do is Popen ffmpeg, and connect to its

> stdout. And as stdout is represented by a file object, it needs to be

> read(). The problem is that read() reads until EOF is reached, which

> doesn't exist while the program is running (the same goes with

> communicate()).

> So my question is: is there a way to retrieve the stdout without waiting

> the program to finish?

> You don't have to read the complete output at once - you may process it
> line by line, I presume. I'd use a second thread to read the pipe and put
> the lines onto a Queue object; the main thread gets lines from the Queue
> when available.

> --

> Gabriel Genellina

> --

Thanks, Gabriel, but I resolved that problem in another way. thrashold in
irc.freenode.net gave me the solution.
What i do now is:

p = Popen(["cmd","arg"],stdout=PIPE,stderr=STDOUT)
fcntl.fcntl(p.stdout.fileno(), fcntl.F_SETFL, os.O_NONBLOCK)
p.stdout.read()

And in that way p.stdout.read() doesn't wait the program to finish, but
gives me instant response. But anyway, thanks! =)