Python for professsional Windows GUI apps?

erikj tw55413 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 29 10:49:22 EDT 2009

On Aug 27, 2:31 pm, Neuruss <luis... at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 26 ago, 05:29, erikj <tw55... at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Hi,
>
> > You could have a look at Camelot, to see if it fits
> > your needs :http://www.conceptive.be/projects/camelot/
>
> > it was developed with cross platform business apps in
> > mind.  when developing Camelot, we tried to build it using
> > wxWidgets first (because of the licensing at that time),
> > but it turned out that developing with QT proved to be
> > much more straightforward.  QT is documented very well
> > and you seldom encounter 'strange' issues that cost hours
> > of time to pinpoint and fix.
>
> > the datagrid was developed to be able to handle millions
> > of database records without glitches and is flexible thanks
> > to QT's model-view-delegate framework.
>
> > we do print barcodes with this app (even directly to
> > zebra printers)
>
> > if you have questions regarding Camelot, please feel free
> > to post on our mailing list :http://groups.google.com/group/project-camelot
>
> > Regards,
>
> > Erik
>
> > On Aug 24, 2:08 pm, Gilles Ganault <nos... at nospam.com> wrote:
>
> > > Hello
>
> > >         I was wondering if some people in this ng use Python and someGUI
> > > toolkit (PyWin32, wxWidgets, QT, etc.) to build professional
> > > applications, and if yes, what it's like, the pros and cons, etc.
>
> > > I'm especially concerned about the lack of controls, the lack of
> > > updates (lots of controls in wxWidgets are 1.0 deadware), and problems
> > > linked to how to update users' PC remotely when I build a new version
> > > using eg. Py2exe.
>
> > > I need controls for business apps like access to databases, good data
> > > grid, printing reports (with or without barcodes), etc.
>
> > > Thank you.
>
> Looks interesting, but I wonder if I can use Camelot without its ORM.
> I feel that ORMs make easy things easier, but complex things much
> harder...
> Can I use it with plain old sql?
>
> Luis

Yes and no :)

It uses sqlalchemy as it's orm, which is quite flexible and allows the
use of
plain old sql, but you still have to map the result to objects for the
GUI to
to handle them.

You are right that the ORM makes easy things easier, eg. what we do a
lot is
to create our core model using the ORM, and then create the different
summaries
directly as views in the database (since these are usually very
complex
queries, and those tend to be easier to write/debug in plain old
sql).  Then
we use the ORM again to map those views back to objects and have them
visualized.

Cheers,

Erik