[OT] How do I reply to a thread by sending a message to python-list at python.org

Nobody nobody at nowhere.com
Fri Aug 28 21:50:20 EDT 2009

On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 05:47:50 -0400, Terry Reedy wrote:

>> I use Thunderbird, and treat the list as ordinary mail.  I use
>> reply-all, and it seems to do the right thing.  Or at least if I'm
>> breaking threads, nobody has pointed it out to me yet.
>
> reply-all may send duplicate messages to the author. Not sure of this list.

If the author doesn't want duplicate replies, they would normally set
a Reply-To header which points to the list.

Some listservs provide an option to suppress duplicates, i.e. a message
isn't sent if the recipient is listed in the To/CC headers. Enabling this
option is a bad idea if you're stuck behind an aggressive spam filter:
the listserv only knows whether you're listed as a recipient; it can't
know whether you actually got the message.