why python got less developers ?

jfabiani at yolo.com jfabiani at yolo.com
Fri Aug 28 11:36:24 EDT 2009

Chris Rebert wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 5:34 PM, Deep_Feelings<doctoresam at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> python got relatively fewer numbers of developers than other high
>> level languages like .NET , java .. etc  why ?
>
> We lack Sun and Microsoft's massive marketing departments. :)

I'm inclined to agreed.  But in recent years we lost a number of developers
to Ruby.  I don't know but I doubt Ruby has a marketing budget.  So in my
mind it is difficult for me to blame just the lack of marketing dollars for
the lost.

I do take heart in a recent article (on Linux today). that less than 5% of
open source is using C#.  Which tells me that .Net in the open source world
is not doing well. So in my opinion the OP is wrong when he includes .Net
in his assessment of developers.

As far as what the OP is suggesting I'm not to sure it matters how many
total developers are using Python.  Python is always in the top ten of the
languages in use.  And therefore is very popular.  I use it daily. But it
does not mean I don't use other languages too.

Johnf