Numeric literals in other than base 10 - was Annoying octal notation

Mensanator mensanator at aol.com
Thu Aug 27 13:49:27 EDT 2009

On Aug 26, 10:27 pm, Steven D'Aprano <st... at REMOVE-THIS-
cybersource.com.au> wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Aug 2009 18:53:04 -0700, Erik Max Francis wrote:
> >> In any case, unary is the standard term for what I'm discussing:
>
> >>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unary_numeral_system

<snip>

> This really isn't anywhere near as controversial as you guys are making
> it. Words sometimes have meanings different from what you expect from
> reasoning by analogy. Get over it.

Fine. I'm over it. Point is, I HAVE encountered plenty of people
who DON'T properly understand it, Marilyn Vos Savant, for example.
You can't blame me for thinking you don't understand it either
when unary is brought up in a discussion of how to interpret
insignificant leading 0's.