ubuntu dist-packages

Florian Diesch diesch at spamfence.net
Thu Aug 27 11:54:03 EDT 2009

Robin Becker <robin at reportlab.com> writes:

> Florian Diesch wrote:
>>
>>>From /usr/lib/python2.6/site.py:
>>
>> ,----
>> | For Debian and derivatives, this sys.path is augmented with directories
>> | for packages distributed within the distribution. Local addons go
>> | into /usr/local/lib/python<version>/dist-packages, Debian addons
>> | install into /usr/{lib,share}/python<version>/dist-packages.
>> | /usr/lib/python<version>/site-packages is not used.
>> `----
>
> the above is not present in my windows documentation (or indeed
> site.py) at all so it seems they just decided to change the
> name. Anyone trying to debug why their distutils or setuptools or
> whichever python packager is going wrong will have yet another detail
> to remember.

setuptools works fine for me in Ubuntu 9.04; eggs go to
/usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/ like they should according to site.py

> In addition, as any one who has done such trivial changes
> will already know, they forgot to do it globally eg my 0.4.1.0 version
> of the "Debian Python Policy" document explicitly mentions
> site-packages.

It's a change for the Python 2.6 package, see
<http://packages.debian.org/changelogs/pool/main/p/python2.6/python2.6_2.6.2-2/changelog>
and /usr/lib/python2.5/site.py

Python 2.6 is only in Debian experimental, I guess there is a new
version of the Debian Python Policy coming.

   Florian
--
<http://www.florian-diesch.de/software/pdfrecycle/>