conditional for-statement

seb sdementen at gmail.com
Wed Aug 26 03:50:17 EDT 2009

On Aug 25, 11:57 pm, Piet van Oostrum <p... at cs.uu.nl> wrote:
> You can also say:
> [x+y for x in range(3) for y in range(4) if x < y]
> If you want to write this as a loop you have to put the for's on
> separate lines separated by colons, so why not the if also? Or would you
> also like to have the for's on one line?

indeed, we could have the for's on one line too. In fact, if you have
a double loop without any body that is specific to the outer loop, you
can merge the two lines. Similarly, if you have a loop with a if (ie
filter) without any body having to be executed outside the if, having
them on the same line is also clearer.

|  for x in range(3):
|  for x in range(3) for y in range(4):
|    for y in range(4):               could be written as
|    body
|      body
and
|  for x in range(3):
|  for x in range(3) if cond(x):
|    if cond(x):                      could be written as
|    body
|      body

Such loops are in fact mentally just one loop over the cartesian
product (product set) of the two iterators or over the filter set of
the iterator respectively in these examples.

Moreover, for 'body' longer than a couple of lines, it is quite useful
to see immediately that there is no additional code that could be only
specific to the outher loop
ie, when writing all in one line, we can be sure that we do not have
this situation
|  for x in range(3):
|    for y in range(4):
|      long body
|      long body
|    body related to outer loop

The naturalness of iteration in the various comprehensions and the
generator expressions can be smoothly extended to the standard code
iteration.

BTW, I noticed this inconsistency when, coming back to python after a
couple of weeks of no python programming, I started coding loops like

for obj in list_obj if obj.Size > 100:
  print(obj)

and got an error message about syntax.