Numeric literals in other than base 10 - was Annoying octal notation

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Mon Aug 24 04:30:11 EDT 2009

James Harris wrote:
>>> Why not just put the base first, followed by the value in quotes:
>>>     2"1011", 8"7621", 16"c26b"
>> It's always a bit impressive how syntax suggestions get more and more
>> involved and, if you'll forgive me for saying, ridiculous as the
>> conversation continues.  This is starting to get truly nutty.
>
> Why do you say that here? MRAB's suggestion is one of the clearest
> there has been. And it incorporates the other requirements: starts
> with a digit, allows an appropriate alphabet, has no issues with
> spacing digit groups, shows clearly where the number ends and could
> take an exponent suffix.

In your opinion.  Obviously not in others.  Which is pretty obviously
what I meant, so the rhetorical question is a bit weird here.

There's a reason that languages designed by committee end up horrific
nightmares.

  San Jose, CA, USA && 37 18 N 121 57 W && AIM/Y!M/Skype erikmaxfrancis
   Do not seek death. Death will find you.
    -- Dag Hammarskjold