How to create functors?

Robert Dailey rcdailey at gmail.com
Tue Aug 18 16:51:19 EDT 2009

On Aug 18, 3:45 pm, "Rami Chowdhury" <rami.chowdh... at gmail.com> wrote:
> Lambda expressions are, I believe, syntactically limited to a single
> expression -- no statements, like 'print' is in Python 2.x.
>
> If you are strongly against just defining a function, you might have to
> use a trick to get around it -- this page
> (http://p-nand-q.com/python/stupid_lambda_tricks.html) has some
> suggestions.
>
> On Tue, 18 Aug 2009 13:32:55 -0700, Robert Dailey <rcdai... at gmail.com>
> wrote:

> >> def print1():
> >>     print "Foobar"
>
> >> It looks like in your version of Python "print" isn't a function. It
> >> always
> >> helps if you say the exact version you are using in your question as the
> >> exact answer you need may vary.
>
> > I'm using Python 2.6. And using the legacy syntax in the lambda does
> > not work either. I want to avoid using a def if possible. Thanks.
>
> --
> Rami Chowdhury
> "Never attribute to malice that which can be attributed to stupidity" --
> Hanlon's Razor
> 408-597-7068 (US) / 07875-841-046 (UK) / 0189-245544 (BD)

The example I gave earlier is a bit contrived, the real example
fundamentally requires a lambda since I am actually passing in local
variables into the functions the lambda is wrapping. Example:

def MyFunction():
  localVariable = 20
  CreateTask( lambda: SomeOtherFunction( localVariable ) ) # CreateTask
() executes the functor internally

This is more or less like the real scenario I'm working with. There
are other (more personal) reasons why I prefer to avoid 'def' in this
case. I want to keep the functor as central to the code that needs it
as possible to improve code readability.

Thanks for the help everyone. I guess in Python 3.0 the print()
function will not require the import from __future__ to work in this
particular case?