Need cleanup advice for multiline string

Jean-Michel Pichavant jeanmichel at sequans.com
Tue Aug 18 07:36:49 EDT 2009

MRAB wrote:
> Carl Banks wrote:
>> On Aug 17, 10:03 am, Jean-Michel Pichavant <jeanmic... at sequans.com>
>> wrote:
>>> I'm no English native, but I already heard women/men referring to a
>>> group as "guys", no matter that group gender configuration. It's even
>>> used for group composed exclusively of women. Moreover it looks like a
>>> *very* friendly form, so there is really nothing to worry about it.
>>
>> I like how being very friendly means calling people after a guy who
>> tried to blow up the English Parliament.
>>
> Guy Fawkes adopted the name Guido while fighting for the Spanish in the
> Low Countries:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guy_Fawkes

I didn't get Carl's reference. The only thing I know about blowing the
parliament is from the movie V for Vendetta (no comment please !).
Now thanks to your link:
"In 18th-century England, the term "guy" was used to refer to an effigy
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Effigy> of Fawkes, which would be paraded
around town by children on the anniversary of the conspiracy"

Well, my knowledge is much too low to get this kind of reference from
the start. :-/

JM