Need cleanup advice for multiline string

Tue Aug 18 00:37:33 EDT 2009

On Mon, 17 Aug 2009 18:04:58 -0700, Carl Banks wrote:

> On Aug 17, 5:40 pm, Mensanator <mensana... at aol.com> wrote:
>> On Aug 17, 4:06 pm, Carl Banks <pavlovevide... at gmail.com> wrote:

>> > I like how being very friendly means calling people after a guy who
>> > tried to blow up the English Parliament.
>>
>> So?
>
> I also like how making an amusing pointless observation gets people all
> huffy.
>
> (BTW, lest anyone is not aware, that is the origin of the word "guy",
> this was not some random association.)

Yes, apparently the slang term "guy" for "man" (and these days, "person")
was derived from Guy Fawkes:

http://www.worldwidewords.org/weirdwords/ww-guy1.htm

but the name itself is much older, and comes from Old German for "wood"
or "warrior". In old French, it was "Gy", and in Italian (and presumably
Dutch) it is "Guido".

http://www.thinkbabynames.com/meaning/1/Guy
http://www.blurtit.com/q113276.html

You'll also note that "guy" the noun has a number of meanings:

http://wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn?s=guy

I don't know if there's any point to all this, but it's interesting, even
if off-topic.

--
Steven