Diversity in Python (was Re: Need cleanup advice for multiline string)

Tue Aug 18 00:34:57 EDT 2009

On Mon, 17 Aug 2009 14:31:51 -0700, Chris Rebert wrote:

>> Oh come on, one newbie making an off-color joke is not any sort of
>> reflection of the community as a whole.
>>
>> Anyway it's pretty naive to expect what is now a large community to
>> avoid bad eggs altogether.  Price you pay for popularity.
>
> Agreed on both points, but the lack of any reprimanding for making said
> inappropriate joke /would/ reflect badly on the community. Fortunately,
> said person's behavior has now been condemned by virtue of this thread;
> it's a step in the right direction.

Pardon me, but he has been slapped, a number of times. Check the original
thread, you'll see that the OP was slapped for his stupid joke, then
slapped again for another dismissive comment after the first reprimand.

You might argue he wasn't slapped *enough*, but that's another story.
Personally, I thought he was either trolling for a reaction, or he was an
old-fuddy-duddy (regardless of biological age), and either way reacting
to his comments would just draw attention to something which is best
dealt with with a cold-shoulder. Reinforce the good behaviour, shun the
bad.

The comments were made a week ago -- why the sudden flurry of attention?

--
Steven