Need cleanup advice for multiline string

Jean-Michel Pichavant jeanmichel at sequans.com
Mon Aug 17 13:03:56 EDT 2009

Grant Edwards wrote:
> On 2009-08-11, Bearophile <bearophileHUGS at lycos.com> wrote:
>
>> Robert Dailey:
>>

>>> This breaks the flow of scope. Would you guys solve this
>>> problem by moving failMsg into global scope? Perhaps through
>>> some other type of syntax?
>>>
>> There are gals too here.
>>

> Straying a bit OT, but I find this particular issue rather
> fascinating.
>
> At least in the US, "guys" is now pretty much gender-neutral
> according to my casual research (mostly just paying attention
> to informal speach).
>
> Oddly, it still seems to be masculine when singular. Though one
> commonly hears a group of females addressed as "you guys" or
> refered to as "those guys", one never hears a single female
> referred to as "a guy" or "that guy".
>
> It is a bit tricky, however, since a phrase like "a group of
> guys" still seems to refer to just males since the word "guys"
> in that case is being applied individually to a plurality of
> persons rather being applied collectivelly to a single group --
> if that makes any sense.
>
> I've actually discussed this with a a number of female friends,
> and they almost all thought the term "gals" was condescending
> and actually preferred to be referred to collectively as
> "guys".

I'm no English native, but I already heard women/men referring to a
group as "guys", no matter that group gender configuration. It's even
used for group composed exclusively of women. Moreover it looks like a
*very* friendly form, so there is really nothing to worry about it.

Forms like:
"Hi guys", "You guys should do something...", "Come on guys..." are very
friendly and gender-neutral.

JM